It’s out! The upgrade is now at http://www.wintertreeredux.com/product/ for all TableMaster owners.
There are a lot of new features, as I have discussed in previous blog posts. I’ll post the changenotes after the break.
New features: 7.5 new commands. A new output formatting code. Extensions, using the new ! modifier, to four output formatting codes. The first meta-command. A bunch of GUI tweaks. A whole lot of bug fixes.
7.5? Well, yes, the .5 of a command is .RESET ALL. That actually translates to a different opcode in TableMaster’s innards (creatively called resetall instead of the normal resettable). So it doesn’t look like a new command, just a parameter, on the surface, but it really is one underneath. Hence 7.5.
There are also updates to the TBL language reference manual, of course. (the Tutorial needs an extensive overhaul, since TBL has had so much added since that was last updated; I’ll announce here when it’s also been updated)
TableMaster 1.4.4 changenotes
added .ALERT added .BEEP added .DOWN added .PRINTCODE added .SETSEX added .UP added .VERSION added .RESET ALL added \$ once/twice/thrice/four times/x times added ! extended formatting code for \@ \# \$ to do dozen, score, etc. changed a\n to use "an" before numeral 8 added ! extended formatting code for C/c to do persistent upper- and lower-case added REALLY meta-command added option for on-click behavior in GUI changed OnActivate to not go to Output if the current tab is not empty improved error message text across the board made .VARIABLE more tolerant of being .INCLUDEd fixed table buttons sometimes not being enabled on startup fixed crashing if table file name has been changed fixed Copy going to the bottom of the page fixed file left open bug fixed different file left open bug fixed previous table pack link bug fixed bad last-table save bug fixed bug with .ROLLON sometimes using two entries fixed some incorrect error messages fixed .EITHER lowercasing results fixed erroneous values after .VARIABLE crashing instead of erroring out
I finally decided to do a Microsoft and release the new version without having every bug squashed, basically because I can’t force them to show themselves when I’m after them. None are critical: one can lead to auto-typos in the output, one can make debugging a table somewhat harder, and one can be avoided by careful table writing. They’ll all be fixed in 1.4.5, of coures, but at this point, I haven’t been able to nail these last few bugs, and not releasing the update (with all its other bug fixes) until I’ve found them would be doing the users a disservice.
There are four known bugs in 1.4.4:
- In some cases, a\n puts “a n” instead of “an”. It seems to involve embedded subtable calls that include a .noop (or .do nothing) command.
- Error messages sometimes reference the wrong source line number.
- It is possible (not certain) that duplicate table names are sometimes permitted.
- In the GUI, sometimes the current pack logo is not added to the list correctly when it is the default graphic; it does, however, appear properly when TableMaster is restarted.
And I can’t pin any one of them down. I know they exist, because I’ve seen them, but when a bug turns up in a 1000+ line table file, I need to force it to appear in something a lot smaller so I can track it down and kill it. I’ve been unable to do that with any of the three table execution bugs; they only appear when I’m not looking for them. I also can’t get the GUI graphic bug to show up reliably; I can’t figure out what combination of conditions makes it occur.
I’ll give a free font of your choice of the ones I have on DriveThruRPG.com to the first person who emails me a table, preferably no more than about 10 lines long, that reliably manifests any of the three known table bugs.